[Gllug] [ot] unsolicited mail from LPI-UK

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Oct 30 12:59:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:39:24AM +0000, Hari wrote:

> Could you elaborate on the irrational prejudices against Linux
> certifications out there?

You can sometimes seem them being expressed on this list, when the issue
of certs is raised.  It starts with the view that certs don't prove much
(or anything, possibly) about a person's skills by themselves (true but
it depends on the cert to an extent) but extends to suspicion of the
person who has the certification.  The thinking seems to be: "Certs are
useless, only experience counts, so why did they bother?  Are they
trying to create a false impression of skill via a useless piece of
paper?"  The irony is that this thinking can lead to somebody being
rejected before they reach the interview stage, denying them the chance
to show what skills they do have.

It may well be true that some of the standardised certs for commercial
Linux distributions are no more proof of real skill than the MSCE's the
world is drowning in, but I know people with exceptional talents who
take such tests regularly to test themselves and to add to their CVs.  I
also know people who would be less likely to invite them to interview,
purely because of the certs.  Obviously I think the former are brighter
than the latter, but it does mean I would think carefully about the kind
of place I was applying to before I included Linux certs on my CV.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.