[Gllug] [ot] unsolicited mail from LPI-UK

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 29 10:39:24 UTC 2008

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:19:38PM +0000, Lesley wrote:
>
>> Well they certainly weren't there this year.
>>
>> Has anyone drawn any benefit from the LPI certification scheme?  If so,
>> how did it help you?
>>

> For me, it was about validating to myself what I know.  I wish more
> people did something like that; I've interviewed a large number of
> candidates for sysadmin-type positions over the years and a depressing
> proportion of them knew far less about Linux and Unix than they
> should and were unaware of how little they knew.  Never having properly
> tested their knowledge and skills, their opinion of their own skills was
> usually inflated and the mismatch between their self-assessment and
> reality all the more stark (which made them look worse than people with
> the same skill level but better self-knowledge).
>
> The LPIC exams are not expensive and are reasonably well constructed
> (although some of the question setters should have their hands slapped
> for poor style and gratuitous usage of cat).  I think anyone with no
> formal qualifications in the area would often benefit from testing
> their skills.
>
> As for using the certifications, I've been wary of mentioning them
> in job applications because I'm aware of the irrational prejudices
> against Linux certifications that are out there.  On the other hand,
> larger and more traditional employers tend to rate certifications as
> proof of effort and ambintion, so I do think it works for them.  If
> you're looking for contract work, definitely cite them: every tick box
> helps.

I concur with what you've said here, it's better to have them than not
have them.
I sympathize with your recruiting problem, I've noticed the same when
recruiting.

Could you elaborate on the irrational prejudices against Linux
certifications out there?
I think companies that don't respect skills, qualifications and training
are doing everybody a dis-service including themselves.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk