[Gllug] Linux migration in small businesses

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 17:13:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Matthew King <matthew.king at monnsta.net> wrote:

> Nifty tip for Debian/Ubuntu users who just want it to Go Away And Leave
> Your Computer Alone - add "post-up true" (with whitespace at the
> beginning) immediately after the "iface eth0 inet dhcp" line. Stanzas
> with any options are skipped by NM.

I've found "yum erase NetworkManager" to be remarkably effective on
RH/Centos/Fedora boxen. The only problem with that is the unreasonable
dependencies that modern distributions seem to have[1]. I find that
sooner or later, something I want pulls in NetworkManager for no
apparently good reason. At which point, just disabling it with ntsysv
seems to do the trick.

Tet

[1] And it's getting worse. If the trend continues, I'll be abandoning
the Red Hat world for something sane (which also rules out Debian or
Ubuntu FWIW). At the moment, it's just about bearable. But there seems
to be no desire to fix the problem, which is worrying.

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk