[Gllug] email readers

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Sat Sep 13 10:03:01 UTC 2008

On 2008-09-13 06:59, "Chris Bell" <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>    Can anyone who remembers using the ANT internet suite on Acorn computers
> suggest anything similar on Linux? I do not like the way that most mail
> systems divide the screen, leaving a relatively small section of screen
> lower right for part of a single email. My older Acorn computers were
> replaced by my RiscPC, which has been running virtually non-stop since I
> purchased it (something around 15 years ago), and although it is showing no
> signs of complaining I suspect it might become confused when I start using
> IPv6.

I haven't used ANT, but I did do some research.

>From what I've read, it reminds me of my own Mutt setup (fetchmail,
procmail, mutt). Yes, it's curses based, and yes it opens $EDITOR to write
your message in.

Mutt is by default modal, viewing a list of mails in a mailbox, viewing the
contents of a mail, writing a mail are all done one at a time. There seems
little point in trying to keep a billion things on the screen at once.
Perhaps Pine is something else you might like.

--James

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk