[Gllug] Recommendation wanted for printer/scanner

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Fri Sep 19 11:31:26 UTC 2008

Alain Williams wrote:
> My HP OfficeJet G85 seems to be on the way out. It is reporting 'Scanner Failure'
> when I switch it on, printing is still OK - prob not worth repairing.
> Not heavily used but I did get it more than 6 years ago.
>
> What would you recommend for a printer/fax/scanner/photocopier ?

Slight touch of deja vu here as I'm sure this was asked recently on the
list. Anyway I can heartily recommend the HP 5180 which I picked up in
PC World for about £70. I wrote a piece about installing it on a minimal
Debian system for Free Software Magazine -
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/installing_all_one_printer_device_debian
(tinyurl version: http://tinyurl.com/hp5180Debian ) but essentially it's
install hplip and run hp-toolbox. SANE/XSANE/Kooka/GIMP etc. and the
web-interface work fine and OOTB for scanning across the network.

HTH
--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss