[Gllug] best way of making backups

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 11:16:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Nahuel Marisi <nahuelmarisi at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I was wondering what programs do you use or
> suggest in order to do this tedious but necessary task.

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

There are also a bunch of online backup tools that using Amazon S3 for
storage.  Up side is you only pay for what you use, it's replicated,
geographically split (at least from you), and you can get at it
anywhere you have a net connection.  And there are a bunch that don't
use Amazon behind the scenes.

Downside being you need to have enough bandwidth to upload it all, it
probably costs more over the long term than a external USB enclosure
and I'm not aware you can use rsync on it yet without some fiddling
[1].  The new persistent storage ought to make this simpler [2].  You
may also not trust your data in the cloud.

Me, I rsync via nightly cron between a few machines I have in
different locations, but I don't have much data.

[1] http://notes.minty.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Offsite_Rsync_Backups_Using_Amazon_S3
[2] http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/thread.jspa?threadID=21082
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk