[Gllug] best way of making backups

Phil Reynolds phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Sun Sep 14 11:18:49 UTC 2008

Quoting "Nahuel Marisi" <nahuelmarisi at gmail.com>:

> Dear List :P
>
> At the moment I make my backups (once every three months when I panicabout my HD dieing) simply by copying the folders I want to backup andcompressing it as a tar.bz2 file. Obviously this is not the mostorganised or efficient way of making backups. So I was wondering whatprograms do you use or suggest in order to do this tedious butnecessary task.

I just tar everything up (using bzip2 as well but I wouldn't bother if I had the space).

However, to automate it and provide "dump-style" levels support, flexbackup is good.

I use that to create a hierarchy of backups and generally make DVDs (yes, I'd use something better if I had anything available) of the weekly ones at least using cdbackup. I have "baseline" backups that I tend to do only a few times a year - there is a huge amount of static data that I would rather not be trying to back up even monthly at present.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/[1]
(_)- \/  Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95

Links:
------
[1] http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/