[Gllug] Programmer Wanted (scripter and compiler)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Apr 29 13:57:02 UTC 2009

On 29 Apr 2009, at 12:18, Nix wrote:
> [...] I've spent fifteen years using the 'get an almost-obsolete
> system, there's a huge markdown' philosophy,

It's a bit different from 1994, mind. RAM and disk space was small and
expensive and CPUs were not featureful. These days, a gig of RAM costs
less than a round of drinks, disk space is infinite for most purposes,
and you have to go out of your way to not end up with a multi-core 64
bit processor.

> and this time I looked at the top-of-the-line stuff too and it
> wasn't terribly much more expensive, probably because the executive
> fodder is all laptops now.

When I spotted a quad-core CPU, board and 8GB of RAM for £300, it was
an easy purchase. Runs Debian like the proverbial off a shovel. I've
still managed to push it into swap with some rather dodgy code, mind :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk