[Gllug] Ubuntu Jaunty Releases and Beer this evening

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.info
Fri Apr 24 10:37:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, April 24, 2009 11:09 am, Dylan wrote:
> On Friday 24 April 2009, George wrote:
>> Kmail has gone to the dogs completely with
>> out so much as a by your leave ...
>
> Kmail has always had a habit of changing the user settings on upgrade,
> even
> with minor bug fixes. I've regularly had to reinstate my toolbar buttons
> and
> correct my chosen view layout, and not infrequently actually tell it where
> find the mail (or force it to rebuild indexes;) address book or
> accounts/identities config, It's not restricted to Ubuntu (which I've
> never
> used in anger and don't like <ducks>) since I've had it happen on several
> Suse installations over the years and seen it more than once on Red Hat.
>
> Dx

I've sent this once and it didn't seem to get delivered - possibly as a
direct result of the way I've had to rejig my mail setup to fix this issue
- alternatively apologies if this is the second time subscribers see this
from me.

But jaunty for me has a far more serious problem than a kmail
configuration issue: a kernel bug that takes the whole system down on
boot.

I've lost one of my mail servers as a result (possibly a good thing in the
long run as it will force me to rationalise my home network - but
struggling to reconfigure sendmail at 11pm at night is not my idea of
fun).

>From checking out launchpad this seems to be an old error which was
patched once and then crept back in - but it is really appalling to issue
a kernel with a bug in it like this, have it spotted at the release
candidate stage and do nothing about it (presumably because you have
pre-announced your release date)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk