[Gllug] Open source == 'Popular Computing'

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Tue Apr 21 10:21:11 UTC 2009

On 21/4/09 11:11, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:12:21AM +0100, Simon Wilcox wrote:
>> On 20/4/09 20:40, James Laver wrote:
>>> I interviewed at a social network thingummyjig last year in central
>>> london and asked them about release frequency. They told me they release
>>> to live 4 times a day. I left shortly after.
>> Why does frequency of release worry you ?
>
> Because doing it right is *hard* - as your link explains - and unless told
> otherwise, one has to assume that stuff like testing and documentation has
> been skipped. Which really does lead to the project from hell.

Absolutely but if it were done right it would be quite an interesting &
pleasant place to work.

James didn't say that he left because he found out that their testing
and documentation regime wasn't up to the job of supporting frequent
releases. I was hoping he would clarify it. I was just making the point
that a frequent release cycle isn't reason enough on its own to turn
down a job.

Don't get me wrong, I think the number of places that get it right are
well in the minority and it's certainly an indicator that you need to
check more closely into the working environment !

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk