[Gllug] frying bacon

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Apr 3 10:41:09 UTC 2009

On Friday 03 April 2009, Alain Williams wrote:
> For some time now I hear a sound of someone frying bacon in the background
> of all my phone calls ... makes conversations sometimes hard.
>
> Plugging/unplugging things I find that if my broadband modem (d-link
> ds-604+) is unplugged/switched-off the cooking stops. This is on a BT phone
> system. Changing the 'phone makes no difference.
>
> What is likely to be the culprit:
>
> * broadband filter

That's likely the miscreant, although there *may* be a problem in the cable
from the filter to the modem (trapped somewhere, or kinked up causing a
slight short.)

In such cases I usually let suspicion fall on the cheapest component first.
The microfilters which are integreated into the phone socket (giving 2
sockets - ADSL and phone line) have shown themselves to be more reliable for
me and the friends who have them - YMMV, of course!!

Dx

--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk