[Gllug] Forward of moderated message

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 27 09:30:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 8:02 AM, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/25 Jose Luis Martinez <jjllmmss at googlemail.com>:
>
>> In which way is this related to Linux??? Is there any claim to Linux
>> being greener?
>>
>> What is next? Curing cancer?  :-)
>
> Well... yes.
> I first became interested in Beowulf cluster when Jon 'Maddog' Hall
> came to London to talk at a DEC User Society meeting. One of the cases
> he discussed was a medical research group at Sao Paulo university who
> analysed  mammograms. With their existing computer it would take over
> a day to run the analysis program, which would flag up an abnormal
> image which needs further investigation. They build a Beowulf cluster,
> which cut the analysis time down to a few hours - meaning the women
> would not have to make a return journey of a day or so to the hospital
> on a second occasion.
> --

That is great news, still my question would be why the initial message
was deemed to be on topic.

If we are going to stretch things that way. then anything is related to Linux.

I think its is fair to ask for specificity (of the kind you provided)
when posting something that at first glance is not directly related to
our beloved OS.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk