[Gllug] Ubuntu, Fedora pains

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Apr 10 11:12:47 UTC 2009

Richard Jones wrote:
> You can tell NetworkManager to get its grubby hands off your network
> settings (on Fedora at least) by editing /etc/sysconfig/
> network-scripts/ifcfg-eth<N> and removing the line NM_MANAGED=.. or
> setting it to NM_MANAGED=No

That I didn't discover. Though it did recognise the static interface and
routes once I added them (as Daniel mentioned in his email).

> And yes NetworkManager is quite annoying, except on laptops that have
> wifi where it mostly does the right thing (at the cost of pulling in
> tons of python crap).
>
>> Well, doesn't take long to download an ISO - have a quick look at Fedora
>> 10, I started off with RedHat back in the 5.x days. Aha! Display seems
>> faster, but tricky to get the dual monitor setup I want because
>> xorg.conf seems to have vanished. Google around a bit - done.
>
> You don't mention what display adapter this is.

Just an intel 815 series in an old Dell Inspiron 1300. Nothing fancy.
Don't need/want any of the modern effects, just reasonably quick display
of anti-aliased text. It's well supported apart from the fact that I run
dual monitors and so have a desktop thats > 2000 pixels wide. One of the
modules (DRI iirc) doesn't seem to like that.

> As for xorg.conf as you've probably found out you just need to create
> the file.  Most X configs these days don't need it though.

Oddly, with the wrong combination of modules loaded I could cause a
complete lock-up in dual-monitor mode.

>> NetworkManager still just as annoying, and Sun's java doesn't seem to be
>> in the standard repos. Still - otherwise it all seems fine. Several
>> months of bugfixes too, so that's good.
>
> Java certainly is in Fedora.  Not sure about Sun's particular version
> of java.  If Sun's version isn't in Fedora, that's because Sun's
> version isn't free software, so take that issue up with Sun.
>
> $ yum search jdk
> ================================= Matched: jdk =================================
> java-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64 : OpenJDK Runtime Environment
[more matches snipped]

Didn't search for the jdk. Just wanted a runtime. A search for "jre" got
me nothing.

I did however search for "java" (fairly obviously) and scrolling back
through the results found the "gcj" packages which I didn't want. I see
now that the results aren't in fact sorted alphabetically, they just
look that way for the last 500 lines or so. Not sure how they're sorted,
actually. By repository, then A-Z?

>> Hmm - the gnome calendar seems to think the week starts on a Tuesday though.
>>
>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=325009
>
> Yeah, I've been on the CC list for this bug for a long time too, and
> it's remarkable for being (a) blatant and (b) not being fixed.  I can
> only guess that because it only affects UK users, the glibc
> maintainers (who are all living west coast USA) don't see it as much
> of a priority, and no one from the UK has stepped up to do the work.
>
> As with all software that you got for free, if it works, that's nice,
> if you want it fixed, get your hands dirty and do it yourself.

There is a fix - patches are attached to the bug. It's a packaging
issue, and presumably won't happen now because Fedora 11 is on its way soon.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk