[Gllug] Ubuntu, Fedora pains

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Apr 10 10:13:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 09:57:58AM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
> All fine, except for the pain that is NetworkManager - yes, please
> ignore my standard network settings and try your own after I log in
> (presumably all the youngsters change their CAT5 cabled IP address with
> their user accounts nowadays).

You can tell NetworkManager to get its grubby hands off your network
settings (on Fedora at least) by editing /etc/sysconfig/
network-scripts/ifcfg-eth<N> and removing the line NM_MANAGED=.. or
setting it to NM_MANAGED=No

And yes NetworkManager is quite annoying, except on laptops that have
wifi where it mostly does the right thing (at the cost of pulling in
tons of python crap).

> Well, doesn't take long to download an ISO - have a quick look at Fedora
> 10, I started off with RedHat back in the 5.x days. Aha! Display seems
> faster, but tricky to get the dual monitor setup I want because
> xorg.conf seems to have vanished. Google around a bit - done.

You don't mention what display adapter this is.

As for xorg.conf as you've probably found out you just need to create
the file.  Most X configs these days don't need it though.

> NetworkManager still just as annoying, and Sun's java doesn't seem to be
> in the standard repos. Still - otherwise it all seems fine. Several
> months of bugfixes too, so that's good.

Java certainly is in Fedora.  Not sure about Sun's particular version
of java.  If Sun's version isn't in Fedora, that's because Sun's
version isn't free software, so take that issue up with Sun.

$ yum search jdk
================================= Matched: jdk =================================
java-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64 : OpenJDK Runtime Environment
java-1.6.0-openjdk.i386 : OpenJDK Runtime Environment
java-1.6.0-openjdk-demo.x86_64 : OpenJDK Demos
java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel.x86_64 : OpenJDK Development Environment
java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel.i386 : OpenJDK Development Environment
java-1.6.0-openjdk-javadoc.x86_64 : OpenJDK API Documentation
java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin.x86_64 : OpenJDK Web Browser Plugin
java-1.6.0-openjdk-src.x86_64 : OpenJDK Source Bundle
[...]

> Hmm - the gnome calendar seems to think the week starts on a Tuesday though.
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=325009

Yeah, I've been on the CC list for this bug for a long time too, and
it's remarkable for being (a) blatant and (b) not being fixed.  I can
only guess that because it only affects UK users, the glibc
maintainers (who are all living west coast USA) don't see it as much
of a priority, and no one from the UK has stepped up to do the work.

As with all software that you got for free, if it works, that's nice,
if you want it fixed, get your hands dirty and do it yourself.

Or pay for a Red Hat support contract (this bug hasn't and won't
affect RHEL releases).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones