[Gllug] Foresight rPath security updates?

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:01:40 UTC 2009

On 2 Apr 2009, at 13:02, j.roberts wrote:

> Since Foresight has been mentioned in another context, ie April the
> 1st,
> and since this is 'the List of All *nix Knowledge' (tm) (no really,
> it's
> now April 2, I'm serious :) - I'd like to ask how exactly one can keep
> an rPath vm up to date with security fixes? Or is that another April
> Fool's quest?
>
> The only way I have been advised to do this (by rPath on their forums,
> already) is to rebuild the rPath vm from the rPath fixed sources,
> which
> is neither satisfactory nor necessarily simple.
>
> After an admittedly non-exhaustive (but exhausting) search, I have
> found
> no other solution - which is why I am very reluctant ever to deploy an
> rPath appliance.
>
> Is there (there must be) a better way?
>
> TIA
> --
>
> James Roberts
> Stabilys.com

Are you using one of the ready-prepared VMs on rBuilder or are you
building your own?

If you're using a ready-prepared one, you should just run an update
periodically through conary or RAA.

If you're building your own, then you'll need to bump packages when
they're backported (the easiest way to do this is just to shadow them
from the main rPath repository and rebuild them in your repository).

I admit there's a little bit much effort involved, however.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk