[Gllug] Foresight rPath security updates?

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Thu Apr 2 15:27:07 UTC 2009

James Laver wrote:

>> The only way I have been advised to do this (by rPath on their forums,
>> already) is to rebuild the rPath vm from the rPath fixed sources,
>> which
>> is neither satisfactory nor necessarily simple.

Thanks for the reply.

> Are you using one of the ready-prepared VMs on rBuilder or are you
> building your own?

Mainly prebuilt

> If you're using a ready-prepared one, you should just run an update
> periodically through conary or RAA.

Well we have tried this, but we have ended up fairly often in dependency
heel when the base system applies an update which is incompatible with
what is running on  it (this has happened with Trixbox vms).

> If you're building your own, then you'll need to bump packages when
> they're backported (the easiest way to do this is just to shadow them
> from the main rPath repository and rebuild them in your repository).
>
> I admit there's a little bit much effort involved, however.

Quite so. But we are thinking that this is the only way to deal with the
problem mentioned above. Hence reluctance to deploy despite other
advantages.

--

James Roberts
Stabilys.com