[Gllug] audio cd tracks into mp3 files

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Apr 22 10:00:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 02:27:44PM -0500, Lucy Peters wrote:
> Do you know which linux program can translate tracks from audio cd into
> mp3 files ? The tracks that i am going to translate are freebies from
> newspaper and i don't think it is illegal to translate into mp3 format.

My recommendation is to always rip to FLAC  format first. This is a
lossless format so you only get about 50% space saving over the original
raw CD quality audio stream, but with the really low price/MB of external
harddisks there's no reason not use a lossless format as your 'master'.
Once in FLAC lossless format, then I re-encode everything to the various
lossy formats, normally a high quality Ogg Vorbis file and a medium
quality MP3, the latter pretty much just for my iPod. And keep the FLAC
master files around so you can re-encode files in any other format you
may wish to have in the future.

I use SoundJuicer for the original Flac ripping and it works very nicely
really. It just does ripping, in a nice straightforward interface, and
works very effectively. it can also rip directly to mp3 or ogg if you
so choose to skip the flac lossless step.

Regards,
Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|