[Gllug] audio cd tracks into mp3 files

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 09:49:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Lucy Peters <lucypeters at mail.com> wrote:

> Do you know which linux program can translate tracks from audio cd into mp3
> files ? The tracks that i am going to translate are freebies from newspaper
> and i don't think it is illegal to translate into mp3 format.

Actually, it is, but even the BPI have said they think it wrong to
prosecute people for doing so.

I generally rip to FLAC and Ogg Vorbis, but when I have to make an
MP3, I do so with bladeenc. For whatever reason, I've never had much
luck with LAME. Bladeenc works provided you encode above a certain
bitrate (128K, from memory). Below that, it sounds like you're
listening to someone gargling their way through a comedic cover
version. I don't know if that's a feature of the MP3 format or a bug
in bladeenc (and the files are still larger than an Ogg Vorbis rip of
the same track that sounds just fine).

Tet

--
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
understand the exponential function -- Albert Bartlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk