[Gllug] Removing udev after autoinstall

Harry Rickards hrickards at l33tmyst.com
Fri Apr 3 15:44:13 UTC 2009

I own a Debian Lenny VPS with FSCKVPS.com, and have recently decided
to setup iptables. To simplify things I decided to use firestarter, so
setup SSH X forwarding and did 'apt-get install firestarter'. There
were quite a long list of dependencies (see below), but I had a brief
look through them and thought they looked ok, and nothing was being
removed in any case. I went ahead and installed firestarter, and
started to use it over SSH. However, my VPS is hosted in Atlanta, USA,
so it was taking forever for each menu in firestarter to load. I gave
up, and have decided to try and manually setup iptables. I did an
'apt-get remove firestarter', and then an 'apt-get autoremove'.
However, both seemed to work, but came up with errors like the
following:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/udev.postinst: line 72: echo: write error:
Operation not permitted
dpkg: error processing udev (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of hal:
  hal depends on udev (>= 0.065); however:
   Package udev is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing hal (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnome-mount:
  gnome-mount depends on hal; however:
   Package hal is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gnome-mount (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of initramfs-tools:
  initramfs-tools depends on udev (>= 0.086-1); however:
   Package udev is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing initramfs-tools (--configure):
  udev
  hal
  gnome-mount
  initramfs-tools

I removed hal, gnome-mount and initramfs-tools, as they didn't seem to
be needed, and was just left with the warning about udev. I then
removed udev (with an 'apt-get remove udev'). However, after removing
udev I got the following message:

* Please reboot your system as soon as possible!
* After removing udev the system may not be fully functional.

This suggests to me that udev should be installed, yet when it is
installed, dpkg and apt throw up errors about it. I've googled, and it
seems that while no-one is in exactly the same situation as me, there
are people who want to remove udev to speed up the system boot. The
general advice to these people seems to be no, it will break your
system? Does anyone have any advice on whether I should reboot and see
what happens, or re-install udev and ignore the dpkg errors.

Thanks
Harry Rickards

The dependencies firestarter needed:

   busybox console-common console-data dbus dbus-x11 eject esound-clients
   esound-common gconf2 gconf2-common gksu gnome-keyring gnome-mime-data
   gnome-mount hal hal-info initramfs-tools kbd klibc-utils libart-2.0-2
   libaudiofile0 libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3
   libavahi-glib1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0
   libbonoboui2-common libdbus-1-3 libdbus-glib-1-2 libdirectfb-extra
   libeel2-2.20 libeel2-data libenchant1c2a libesd0 libgail-common libgail18
   libgconf2-4 libgksu2-0 libglade2-0 libgnome-keyring0 libgnome-menu2
   libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common
   libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common
   libgnomevfs2-extra libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libhal-storage1 libhal1
   libhunspell-1.2-0 libidl0 libklibc liblzo2-2 libmalaga7
   libnautilus-extension1 libnotify1 liborbit2 libpam-gnome-keyring libpci3
   libsexy2 libsmbclient libsmbios-bin libsmbios2 libsplashy1
   libstartup-notification0 libtalloc1 libvoikko1 libvolume-id0 libwbclient0
   libwnck-common libwnck22 libx86-1 libxres1 myspell-en-us notification-daemon
   pciutils pm-utils powermgmt-base radeontool shared-mime-info sudo udev
   usbutils uswsusp vbetool
Suggested packages:
   unicode-data cdtool setcd dhcp3-server cryptsetup gnome-device-manager
   libbonobo2-bin synaptic app-install-data esound desktop-base
   gnome-icon-theme libgnomevfs2-bin fam libsmbios-doc voikko-fi cpufrequtils
   splashy
The following NEW packages will be installed
   busybox console-common console-data dbus dbus-x11 eject esound-clients
   esound-common firestarter gconf2 gconf2-common gksu gnome-keyring
[...]
0 upgraded, 93 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Contact information available at l33tmyst.mp

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk