[Gllug] Removing udev after autoinstall

Harry Rickards hrickards at l33tmyst.com
Fri Apr 3 17:40:26 UTC 2009

Quoting Harry Rickards <hrickards at l33tmyst.com>:

> I own a Debian Lenny VPS with FSCKVPS.com, and have recently decided
> to setup iptables. To simplify things I decided to use firestarter, so
> setup SSH X forwarding and did 'apt-get install firestarter'. There
> were quite a long list of dependencies (see below), but I had a brief
> look through them and thought they looked ok, and nothing was being
> removed in any case. I went ahead and installed firestarter, and
> started to use it over SSH. However, my VPS is hosted in Atlanta, USA,
> so it was taking forever for each menu in firestarter to load. I gave
> up, and have decided to try and manually setup iptables. I did an
> 'apt-get remove firestarter', and then an 'apt-get autoremove'.
> However, both seemed to work, but came up with errors like the
> following:
> I removed hal, gnome-mount and initramfs-tools, as they didn't seem to
> be needed, and was just left with the warning about udev. I then
> removed udev (with an 'apt-get remove udev'). However, after removing
> udev I got the following message:
>
> This suggests to me that udev should be installed, yet when it is
> installed, dpkg and apt throw up errors about it. I've googled, and it
> seems that while no-one is in exactly the same situation as me, there
> are people who want to remove udev to speed up the system boot. The
> general advice to these people seems to be no, it will break your
> system? Does anyone have any advice on whether I should reboot and see
> what happens, or re-install udev and ignore the dpkg errors.

I decided to risk it and reboot, and everything seems to be working
fine. According to nmap, all the ports that should be open are open,
receiving email with my web mail client (Horde) on my Courier IMAP
server is working, and if you're reading this email, sending email is
too.

Thanks
Harry Rickards

Contact information available at l33tmyst.mp