[Gllug] Should I expect this?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 12 10:52:17 UTC 2009

Hello,
   I normally ssh to other boxes from my main Debian box, which is yet to be
upgraded to Lenny. The main box also runs my local Bind9 DNS.
   The file /etc/resolv.conf was empty apart from a note saying that it was
generated by Network Manager, do not hand edit. I was getting fed up with
entering the network name each time I connected to another box, so I ignored
the instruction and entered the normal few lines found on other boxes
including those reloaded with Lenny.
   I could now connect to other boxes using just the box name, but I
received a warning that the host key verification had failed. Connecting to
another box using BoxName.NetName allowed me to connect normally without
complaint aout any failure of key verification, no mention of Man In The
Middle.
   Should this happen?

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
www.overview.demon.co.uk