[Gllug] Getting an IP address at a public WiFi point

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Aug 15 08:45:57 UTC 2009

Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> 2009/8/15 John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk>:
>> I've just returned from holiday and noticed a recurring problem when
>> trying to use public (and other) WiFi access points.
>>

> What distribution are you using?

Debian Lenny (2.6.26)

> I have had similar issues to what you
> describe, on my own laptops. One with an Intel 3945 Wifi chip, the
> other with an Atheros chipset.

Hmmm...

john at liberty:~$ lspci | grep -i wireless
04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
[Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
john at liberty:~$

Sounds similar.

[snip]
> I would suspect the wifi driver. I had no end of issues (as you
> describe) in kernels prior to 2.6.30, specifically with the Intel wifi
> chip, but it seems better now I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 with Linux kernel
> 2.6.31.

Thank you.  2.6.30 seems to have just made it into Squeeze so I'll try
installing that kernel and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk