[Gllug] Getting an IP address at a public WiFi point

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 09:31:19 UTC 2009

Link local addresses, they can be useful in some instances, like device
communication without a DHCP server, can be more convenient than assigning
statics. We use it at the office, for an app that does auto backup and sync
between android, other clients and another wireless device, especially handy
in the case theres no wireless network available. My phone auto syncs with
the laptop, over wireless, without the speed impediment of Bluetooth. Not to
mention its far better than the attricious Bluetooth support on this phone!

Shannon Carver
E: shannon.carver at gmail.com
M: +44 (0)78 4606 9419

On Aug 15, 2009 9:46 AM, "John Winters" <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:

Alan Pope wrote: > Hi John, > > 2009/8/15 John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk>:
>> I've just returned...
Debian Lenny (2.6.26)

> I have had similar issues to what you > describe, on my own laptops. One
with an Intel 3945 Wifi ...
Hmmm...

john at liberty:~$ lspci | grep -i wireless
04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
[Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
john at liberty:~$

Sounds similar.

[snip]

> I would suspect the wifi driver. I had no end of issues (as you >
describe) in kernels prior to 2....
Thank you.  2.6.30 seems to have just made it into Squeeze so I'll try
installing that kernel and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers,
John