[Gllug] Linux workstation admin simpler than OS X

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Aug 1 18:26:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 10:21:22AM +0100, Tethys wrote:
> I've never used OS X in anger, so I can't comment. What I *can* say
> is that sysadmin on Linux[1] is getting harder than it used to be. For
> example, my latest annoyance is the latest version of Fedora, which
> doesn't even let you configure a network on install. It seems you're
> supposed to use the NetworkManager applet when you log in for the first
> time instead. I'm sure that works well if you're using the machine as a
> single user workstation with the default settings. But apparently the
> concept that people might do other things with it doesn't seem to have
> occurred to anyone. Conform! It's just like being on Windows...

Don't worry - I work for Red Hat and I loathe NetworkMangler too.  It
has started to routinely "lose" the ethernet connection on my Fedora
11 machine.  Which is something of an achievement given it's a fixed,
wired network and my DHCP server gives that machine a fixed IP
assignment every time.  ie. The simplest possible case for network
management.

It's also written in python, so it consumes buckets of memory doing
whatever it is that python does to consume huge amounts of memory for
any trivial task.  It's using over 100MB of memory on that machine
right now, to manage a fixed network that doesn't need to be managed.
Unreliably.

It seems that kickstart installs are the one remaining way to remove
NM madness.

(rant over ..)

Rich.

--