[Gllug] Linux workstation admin simpler than OS X

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sat Aug 1 19:17:39 UTC 2009

--------

Richard Jones writes:

>Don't worry - I work for Red Hat and I loathe NetworkMangler too.

It's not so much that I hate NetworkManager (although I don't have
much love for it, it has to be said). It's more that I despair at
the attitude shift within Red Hat. There shalt be one and only one
way of doing things, and that way shall work for a default desktop
install and suck for everything else :-(

>It seems that kickstart installs are the one remaining way to remove
>NM madness.

I find "yum erase NetworkManager" to work pretty well, although the
rats nest of unnecessary dependencies in modern Linux distributions
is making that harder to achieve these days. It also seems that
every time I complain about something the installer gets wrong,
it's closed as NOTABUG and I'm told to use kickstart. Which I could
do, but in reality, for a single, non-repeatable install, I really
shouldn't need to. The installer should be doing that :-( But it
seems no one can see the need for a middle way, between a kickstart
install and full graphical install.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk