[Gllug] Reasonable graphics card for light 3D / compiz in Ubuntu Jaunty

Victor Churchill vchurchill at softwareshack.eu
Sun Aug 9 20:33:34 UTC 2009

2009/8/9 James Laver <gllug at jameslaver.com>:
> On 9 Aug 2009, at 19:25, Caroline Ford wrote:
>
>> New X doesn't really use xorg.config any more. It's all automagical -
>> which is great when it works!
>
> ITYM 'would be great if it worked'.
>
> I'm quite saddened by the move to configless X, not only does it
> usually get it wrong, but the solution has switched to 'run these
> commands that interact with the X server' rather than 'tweak the
> config a little bit'.
>
> And the latter requires effort to make it happen every time you start X.

bit OT, but I have a similar gripe - my Panasonic laptop has a touch
screen and in earlier Ubuntus I had a custom xorg.conf that mapped the
XY input exactly to the display. The OOTB one now doesn't. And a touch
screen that respondsin the wrong place is worse than useless, it's
downright dangerous ;-(
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk