[Gllug] MS Exchange - groupware replacement

Juergen Schinker ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net
Thu Aug 6 09:05:09 UTC 2009

>> 1) Cyrus-Imapd with postfix
>> 2) opengroupware.org  (has MAPI-Connector)
>> 3) Mobiles with IMAP(S)-Clients (maybe a syncml solution for PUSH)
>>
> I have several OpenGroupware, Sendmail, Cyrus-imap installations live.
> The MAPI connector is flaky, has a few undocumented features and doesn't
> support OL 2007. There is a new MAPI connector in the wings that I have
> yet to test that is supposed to support OL 2007

Cool , IMHO Mapi is closed source (protocol) and everyone who wants to
write a connector has to subscribe NDA ,pay licence etc pp -> dead end

> I like OpenGroupware because it just sits alongside whatever e-mail
> system is already there. But, OGo's own webmail client prefers Cyrus
> IMAP. When I tried it with Dovecot with the OGo-WebUI process swallowed
> the server's CPU.
>
> As far as IMAP clients go, I have found most regular users are addicted
> to Outlook and find the small difference between that and Thunderbird to
> be a real obstacle. I don't get it myself, as I find MS's IMAP
> implementation in Outlook a disaster. Their representation of deleted
> messages is just obtuse.

I found that regular users have a problem with the cross-access to other
users Inbox when migrating from OL to Thunderbird with a existing Exchange.

> So it all works but there are some wrinkles to get round. A solid Open
> Source Groupware system is a key requirement.
>
> :-) Ken

Do you know about a PUSH Solution to mobiles?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk