[Gllug] Interesting programme on BBC Radio 4 2100-2130

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Tue Aug 4 07:28:31 UTC 2009

On Mon 03 Aug, Dan Kolb wrote:

> The quartz is used to hold the molten silicon, from which single-crystal
> silicon is drawn; this silicon is still obtained from sand.
>
> Dan

   I did not notice any mention whether the sand for the final silicon (also
a selected quartz) was derived from the same source, but there was a point
made that the very high quality quartz was not totally unique. (I received a
phone call during the programme).

Chris Bell NEW address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk