[Gllug] Wireless kit recommendation

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Aug 4 01:38:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 21:28 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:

> I am just over a mile, perhaps 2 KM, from my local exchange, getting just
> under 9 Mbps continuously on a TI AR7-based wireless router.

I'm just about 3 km from the local exchange, and get a consistent 21
Mbps from Be.  This will change soon as Muswell Hill is the FTTH (Fibre
To The Home) test area, and BT are suggesting that we'll be able to get
>80 Mbps with very low contention.

Of course this has put Virgin's nose out of joint - they had 96% of the
households on this side of the hill when it was Cable Camden, then Cable
London.  Since the Virgin debacle, satellite dishes have appeared on
almost every roof, and the locals now get their net connections via
ADSL.  Virgin now have <5% of the households, and the number drops every
month.

Virgin's spurious claims have been found out.  Their claim of "a fibre
network" (it isn't - in most cases it's bundled twisted pairs to the
cabinets) and 20 Mbps (it isn't - it's roughly 5 Mbps with occasional
bursts to 20 Mbps if you're lucky), and their claim of the "fastest
available 'net connection" isn't true either - the ADSL2+ service from
Be (for one) is generally much faster...

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk