[Gllug] Cheap modernish Desktop form factor PCs & HD brands?

Steve Mynott steve at gruntling.com
Sat Aug 22 10:27:37 UTC 2009

Being mean I'd rather buy oldish kit for home servers and drivers which
tend to work with Debian/stable.

I've tended to those ex-corporate HP Desktops with desktop flat form
factor, since they are widely available, quiet and stack easily taking
little space.  I think the last time I paid 75GBP for an HP P4/2.8Ghz
off some dodgy geezer at Stratford Computer Faire.

Now I'd quite like a bottom range Dual Core or at least AMD64 arch.
(I don't care whether it's Intel or AMD although CPU virtualisation
support would be nice).  Does anyone know whether these have filtered
down to being really cheap second hand yet?  Or any suggestions for
similar kit?

Also for HD brands?  I'm always a bit paranoid about disk failures
and would rather pay more for a longer warranty and/or Seagate?

--
Steve Mynott <steve at gruntling.com>
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk