[Gllug] Cheap modernish Desktop form factor PCs & HD brands?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Aug 22 11:00:45 UTC 2009

On 22 Aug 2009, at 11:27, Steve Mynott wrote:
[...]
> Now I'd quite like a bottom range Dual Core or at least AMD64 arch.
> (I don't care whether it's Intel or AMD although CPU virtualisation
> support would be nice).  Does anyone know whether these have filtered
> down to being really cheap second hand yet?  Or any suggestions for
> similar kit?

There's a chap at the Queensway computer market that has a pile of Sun
Ultra 40s going fairly cheap. I think it was £250 for a twin dual-core
2.mumble GHz Opteron system. I don't recall seeing any disk, and the
RAM was fairly modest, but it still looks like a good deal.

> Also for HD brands?  I'm always a bit paranoid about disk failures
> and would rather pay more for a longer warranty and/or Seagate?

Seagate have become slightly worse on the reliability front of late,
but they're nowhere near as horrid as Maxtor. Western Digital would
appear to be the overall winner at the moment.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk