[Gllug] Loopback mountable image file compression.

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Aug 24 10:11:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 07:43:09PM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
> Richard Jones <rich <at> annexia.org> writes:
> > SquashFS is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
> >
> > Rich.
> >

> Actually Squashfs isn't completely irrelevant to this discussion.  You can
> put a filesystem image inside a SquashFS filesystem, it will be compressed
> by SquashFS, and the filesystem can be loopback mounted.
>
> In fact that's what the Fedora liveCD does, it has a SquashFS filesystem
> that contains exactly one file, an ext3 filesystem image.

There's no benefit to putting a filesystem in a squashfs image for the
original poster.

The reason the Fedora liveCD does it is because cloop is not upstream,
and they can't use a squashfs instead of ext3 because squashfs doesn't
support extended attributes (read: SELinux).

As I say, squashfs is irrelevant to this discussion.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat