[Gllug] Ubuntu mirror is slow

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Mon Aug 24 07:46:41 UTC 2009

On Mon 24 Aug, pavithran wrote:

> What about the average computer newbie ( who normally chooses ubuntu )
> ? You expect him to google???

   For what its worth, I collected a few hints in a file which I passed to
new users, and this grew to a simple website when I needed information for
my local council. I tried to lay it out in a readable order, ending with a
reply request, and gave the address with each copy of Knoppix, etc. Not
perfect, but I hoped better than nothing.
   My experience has been that I tell people about the various references in
approximately the same order as they appear on the web pages. As far as I
can tell the website is ignored, although in about a year I received replies
from two local people plus about three per day via a botnet controlled by a
spammer in .ru

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk