[Gllug] IPv6 and firewalls

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Wed Aug 12 11:00:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Peter Childs <peterachilds at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/8/12 James Laver <gllug at jameslaver.com>:
> > On 12 Aug 2009, at 11:12, Peter Childs wrote:
> >
> >> Can I be really stupid, and ask how do I create an IP6 Lan using
> >> Linux? It seams that you can tell linux to connect to an IPv6 Lan but
> >> how do I create such a thing.
> >>
> >> I suspect I need to update my DNS and DHCP (all running inside the
> >> LAN) but how? Until setting up a IPv6 subnet is easy nobody is going
> >> to to use it. I also guess I need to set the firewall/router to
> >> convert between IPv4/6
> >>
> >> I'm looking at updating my IPv4 Lan behind a multi cast firewall
> >> currently using 192.168.* ips
> >>
> >> Peter.
> >
> > By reading the 'route' and 'iptables' man pages and allocating a
> > machine as your router?
> >
> > Or better still by buying something that just works.
> >

> But this is a Linux List, I'd better switch to Windows then (If I want
> somthing that appently "Just Works (TM)"). (Not that I suspect that
> would help in this case :)) (Linux had IPv6 10 years before Windows
> even thought about it.
>
> All I want is a simple howto.

I breifly mentioned radvd, the router advertising daemon in my previous
post- it performs a similar function to dhcpd in that it advertises a router
so that clients can autoconfigure themselves.

http://www.linuxhq.com/IPv6/radvd.html

It's very simple to setup and once running anything that supports IPv6 on
your lan should automatically start working.

Rob.