[Gllug] Bittorrent temp files

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 28 10:16:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Lucy Peters<lucypeters at mail.com> wrote:

> Lucy Peters wrote:
>> I use Bittorrent to share files and downloaded about 100Mb of files but
>> I was shocked that it took up more 1Gb of space in my hard drive. I
>> think it may be the temporary files created by the Bittorrent that took
>> up the space. Do you know how to get rid of them in order to make the
>> drive more efficient ?
>
> $ rm
>

> When I list out to delete the .tmp files and found out that there was only
> one of them and it was very small size. Do you know what takes out the hard
> disk space ?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Lucy

You will have to find that our yourself by issuing one or two commands.

You say that 1GB is being used, how do you know?

In any case, a first exploratory command could be the following:

cd / ;  sudo du -k | sort -n

that should give you a quick glance of the directories that are using
the most space on your system.

If you have an idea  of where the big files are located then cd to
that directory first, that will save you some time.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk