[Gllug] Debian DomU on CentOS 5 Dom0

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Aug 13 10:55:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 07:34:30AM +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> I need to run a Debian VM on a CentOS host.
> I've created an ext3 filesystem and some swap on two sparse images, loop
> mounted the image, and performed a basic lenny debootstrap.  I've then
> copied the CentOS kernel modules over to what will be the Debian, DomU,
> written an /etc/fstab in the Debian DomU and a domain config file on the
> CentOS guest:

This is quite a convoluted method for installing Debian.

I would usually do something like this (as root):

wget http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.2/i386/iso-cd/debian-502-i386-netinst.iso
lvcreate -n Debian -L 10G VolGroup00
virt-install -v -n Debian --accelerate -r 512 -f /dev/VolGroup00/Debian -c debian-502-i386-netinst.iso

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat