[Gllug] info on setup and running a NFP here in the UK

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Aug 6 11:53:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 12:29 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Based on what little I've been able to find out - actually, the UK isnt
> a part of the .EU ngo/charity charter. eg. a Donation to a UK based
> charity does not bring any tax benefits to a company based in .DE -
> However, donating to a .NL based charity ( greenpeace, as an example )
> does bring with it tax benefits to the .DE entity.

That is my understanding however it seems things may be forced to change
on that score due to a recent ruling at the European Court of Justice:

http://www.charityfinance.co.uk/home/content.php?id=2543

Quite how this will play out is still up in the air as the court may yet
have to deal with claims as to the validity of cross border claims where
differing charity regimes are in effect.

Still this could pave the way for a single EU based charity set up in a
country that has laws friendly to the charitable nature of Free Software
in itself.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk