[Gllug] Reasonable graphics card for light 3D / compiz in Ubuntu Jaunty

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sun Aug 9 17:42:34 UTC 2009

Hi,

Can anyone point me towards a budget (<£40) PCI express graphics card
that plays nicely with compiz and Google Earth in Ubuntu Jaunty?

The onboard gfx of my ASROCK P4-3000 used to work pretty good in Hardy
but since I went over to Jaunty my gfx performace has become very
sluggish. The ring switcher becomes painfully slow once I have more than
6 windows open and Google Earth exhibits really ugly graphics
corruption. I've tried futzing with my xorg.conf
(as I'm guessing the new xorg is responsible) but I've had no joy and I
figure life is short and graphics cards relatively cheap!

So... if any of you have a Jaunty setup + current PCIe gfx card that is
happy with Google Earth (and general 3D) I'd appreciate a
recommendation. My monitors native res is 1280x1024 VGA only and I don't
play games so it really doesn't have to be anything special. I suppose I
can live with proprietary drivers too as long as they work solidly.

Many thanks,

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk