[Gllug] Linux workstation admin simpler than OS X

lesleyb at herlug.org.uk lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Mon Aug 3 07:07:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 06:47:10AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Mon 03 Aug, Lesley Binks wrote:
> >

> > It seems to manage my laptp fine running the current stable Debian and I'm currently
> > not working with a static network so I can't really say if it handles static networks
> > properly
> > yet or whether some ubergruppenfuhrer (apologies no umlauts :| ) still insists on DHCP
> >
> > and nothing but DHCP.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > L.
>
>    I have not had problems with Debian, but I always install in "Expert"
> text mode and select manual network setup without DHCP.

I'll try and register "Epert Mode" in my brain for my next Debian install.
;)

As for Tet's and Rich's posts re Desktop Environments versus window managers
(I'm sorry I can't quote them here; I deleted the whole thread before replying)

1.  I didn't know I could substitute any wm into KDE (or Gnome) but I am now curious about it
2.  I don't know what a HIG is ?
3.  nor rampant layering violations?

(And carefully avoiding the elephants in the room)

I am happy with both definitions offered - they overlap - a file manager is an application after all.
I'd regard the KDE API part of KDE and the Gnome API part of Gnome.  Does a window manager not provide an API?

Lovely to hear about the MinGW work.

Regards

L.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk