[Gllug] Need Broadband Modem that supports IPv6

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Aug 19 09:04:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 09:33:39AM +0100, Dave English wrote:

> >You'll be wanting an ADSL modem set to go into bridging mode. This way it
> >does
> >the underlying magic to convert ethernet into phone line, but your computer
> >actually handles the PPP connections.
>
> AIUI, to do that properly, you need an ADSL Ethernet modem, explained
> here:
>
> http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html

That is #50, the SpeedTouch 546 was about #20.

I wonder why the big boys are not acting, there is a stated aim (that I have seen somewhere)
of 20% adoption by 2010 - we aren't going to get there.
I suppose that IPv6 support will add 10p to the cost of a broadband router ... which is enough
to put them at a competitive disadvantage.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk