[Gllug] Reasonable graphics card for light 3D / compiz in Ubuntu Jaunty

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Mon Aug 10 11:11:53 UTC 2009

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> There is a command that gets X to dump the current auto-detected
> config to a xorg.conf type file. One can then use that as a start for
> the xorg.conf file in /etc and the next time X loads, it will read it.
> So, the auto method can be used in most cases, but the few it does not
> work, one can use a manual xorg.conf file instead. I would say that
> one has the best of both worlds now.

Agreed. The command in question is:

    X -configure

The generated config file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf (on Fedora at least). I
find that X gets it right automatically about 80% of the time, and I use
a variety of hardware in the office here. Most of the problems occur
when using older distros with newer hardware.
Of course esoteric setups may require manual tweaking, in which case the
"X -configure" route is the way to go.

--
Chris
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk