[Gllug] Maintaining music libraries in various formats

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 17:02:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Jon Dye wrote:

> I currently have my music collection as a bunch of mp3s, oggs or flacs
> on a fileserver on my home network.  That's fine for me using linux to
> play them back but we have several devices (including Windows machines
> and iPods) at home that don't support either ogg or flac.  I also
> don't really want to copy the files as flac to my mps player (my
> mobile phone) as they take up a lot of space so I currently transcode
> them to ogg or mps.

> Because file space is cheap I had a crazy idea to keep a directory of
> originals on the network and then to run a periodic script to build a
> directory of mps3 or oggs from the originals.  This would save time
> transcoding

Why is your transcoding so slow?  I've just done a quick test against a
1.5GB wav file (2h14m50s) and converting to mp3 takes 30seconds creating
a file which is 128M which will take a little while to copy on to a
FAT32 USB disk anyway.  I'd transcode on demand myself.

*update*  Okay, I now checked flac to ogg and that took 3m36.518s so
that is unacceptably slow.  Still faster than USB1.1 which some mp3
players might still be?

Anyway plenty of others have agreed and shown example scripts.
Personally I like my 40% left of my 1TB NAS and don't fancy eating 10%
on a lower encoded version of stuff I may or may not play.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk