[Gllug] IPv6 and firewalls

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Wed Aug 12 09:47:42 UTC 2009

On Wed 12 Aug, Joel Bernstein wrote:

> No. No, it really isn't similar to that.
>
> Straw men aside, is there any reason to put public sites on IPv6 right
> now?

   IPv4 addresses are expected to run out within the next couple of years,
and new IPv6 addresses will be allocated. ARIN are offering IPv6 addresses
without charge as an incentive for existing IPv4 users, I can have a real
IPv6 address (not IPv6 over IPv4) from UKFSN now, and I would like to gain
experience before I have to move totally to IPv6.

> You seem to want to use it purely for NAT traversal purposes, AIUI,
> when IPv6 would obviate the need for NAT.

   Where did I say that?

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk