[Gllug] OpenVPN + TrueCrypt

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 08:27:55 UTC 2009

Hi,
> You specify that in the config file or on the command line.  It's all
> there on the man page.

Yes, I realise I gave the impression of being entirely clueless.  I do
actually understand how to configure OpenVPN.... Sorry for being
unclear - I blame lack of sleep and early morning bleariness.

>  Unless you mean how does OpenVPN find the
> Truecrypt keys, in which case the answer is that it doesn't.  There is
> no integration between OpenVPN and TrueCrypt - you configure them
> separately.

I mean precisely that.  I didn't expect there to be any out-of-the-box
integration, but wondered if anyone had come up with a neat way to
make it happen.

Basically I want the user experience to be:

1) Insert USB stick
2) Enter password to decrypt
3) Fire up VPN

Without the user needing to know about mount points, which might
change depending on what other things are mounted at the time.  I have
no doubt that I can make this happen, but I figured it would be worth
asking if anyone had experience of doing something similar.

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith
Technical Director