[Gllug] Alexandria and bar code scanners

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Sat Aug 8 21:09:33 UTC 2009

On 8 Aug 2009, at 22:03, Bob Giles wrote:
> I was just wondering whether anyone has had any success using a bar
> code
> scanner to input ISBNs into Alexandria Book Collection Manager. The
> recommended scanner would appear to be the CueCat scanner but as far
> as
> I can ascertain, they have been out of production for years.

Not familiar with that specific software but most people I know who
catalogue their books do so by holding up book covers / barcodes to a
webcam, and driving Delicious Library or similar that way. Decoding a
sequence of bars isn't rocket science, even if the image is awful to
begin with, and most laptops seem to have a builtin webcam so it makes
sense to use that I think.

Not entirely what you asked for, but the different angle might help
you perhaps.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk