[Gllug] Alexandria and bar code scanners

Bob Giles thecorfiot at gmx.co.uk
Sat Aug 8 21:03:59 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I was just wondering whether anyone has had any success using a bar code
scanner to input ISBNs into Alexandria Book Collection Manager. The
recommended scanner would appear to be the CueCat scanner but as far as
I can ascertain, they have been out of production for years.

I find it strange that although the package is still being actively
developed, bar code scanning appears not to have been addressed.

Googling around seems to come up with nothing useful except for a few
people trying to scan via web cams.

Alternatively, I would like to hear of other solutions perhaps using an
alternative package. I need it to run under Ubuntu 9.04.

I am aware of some 'industrial strength' solutions meant for libraries
but they are way more than I need let alone being way beyond my budget!

TIA.

Bob G.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk