[Gllug] Reserving pagecache memory?

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Fri Aug 28 11:23:55 UTC 2009

Does anyone know of any VM settings that can reserve or set a minimum
value for the size of the pagecache?

I'm having a problem with clients (compute nodes) running a 2.6.28
kernel that run applications from an NFS server, where the applications
will use up all of the available memory (including swap) leaving very
little free memory, and memory used by the pagecache is minimal.

At this point the machine starts to swamp the NFS server with read
requests - I'm assuming this is because the application is no longer in
the pagecache?

I've had a look at the documentation on the various VM settings - but
there seems to be nothing there to set a minimum pagecache size.

Is a there a combination of other settings that might do something similar?

Thanks

James Pearson
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk