[Gllug] shop with laptops

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Sat Aug 15 09:57:04 UTC 2009

On 15 Aug 2009, at 10:00, Shannon Carver wrote:
> I may be bucking the trend here, but the way I see it, you have
> three choices:
> - Apple, pricey, but guarantee quality and street cool, if thats
> what you care for. On and their multi touchpad is easily the best
> pointing device available that's not a mouse;
On the other hand, they've been systematically ruining their macbook
pro range. First they got rid of the button and made the entire
trackpad a clickable button (it's on a hinge from the top). It might
have worked had they not hinged it.

Then they made the battery non-user-replaceable. Because when it comes
time that it's not worth using, would you rather fit one yourself or
send it off to apple so they can both charge you a fortune for it and
lose you your laptop for a month?
> - Dell, solid machines, and always the best bang for buck,
> specifically their XPS, Vostro and Studio range;
But not the adamo, which appears to be stepping on Apple's toes. I
considered it because of the build quality (all aluminium case) until
I discovered that again, the battery wasn't user replaceable.
> - Netbooks, get an EeePC or Dell mini or something

I got the first EeePC model and I thought it was awful. Too small to
see browse large swathes of the web on (though I gather they used the
space on the lid more wisely later on) and the keyboard is too small
for someone fat-fingered to type on, kind of knackering up the
browsing-on-the-train experience for me. Can't browse, can't email,
can't hack. Why would you get one?

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk