[Gllug] security check

Phil Reynolds phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Tue Aug 11 09:18:40 UTC 2009

Quoting "James Laver" <gllug at jameslaver.com>:

> Until the chip and pin system is properly discredited (or the law
> is changed to shift liability back to the bank), I'll stick with
> signature, thanks. And yes, I like my chequebook.

When you consider that the main thrust of the argument was to shift
liability away from the retailer, they shifted it in the wrong
direction.

My partner's "chip and signature" card was refused (in advance of the
"let the customer sign" rule being withdrawn) by one outlet where we
frequently used the card. He had it replaced with a "chip and pin"
card in advance of the normal cycle but I did write to head office
pointing out that "the chip says signature and should not be refused"
- I got back a "local management decision" fob-off, so I responded via
the web countering their arguments one by one. I also had a card that,
at the time, was "chip and signature" so on a future visit tried that
and they accepted it.

I also got some funny looks in a branch of PC World - I presented the
same card, a slip printed for signing and the transaction was nearly
cancelled. I pointed to the slip, where it said "ICC - Signature",
explained that the card was a "signed for" one in line with the
practice at the time of its issue and that some people would still
have them, a manager heard me and explained to the till operator "that
is correct - if it prints a slip for signing, rather than prompting
for pin, it is acceptable" - this was after the "must use pin" rule
came in.

The card was later replaced with a chip and pin card as part of the
normal replacement cycle.

I know that the way the rules are written, chip and signature is
better for the customer, but I am not going to ask for such a card, at
least yet.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk