[Gllug] security check

Paul Rayner Paul.Rayner at ylemsolutions.com
Mon Aug 10 22:30:31 UTC 2009

On 10 Aug 2009, at 22:29, Lucy Peters wrote:

> I have a word document file to remind myself of my bank details and
> various passwords.
> Do you think they could have hacked into it ? If they did, how do I
> stop them doing that?

It's unlikely that your details were taken from this file. As
Caroline said, it's much more likely that your details were taken
during a transaction in the "real world", however, it's a really bad
idea to keep your passwords in a file like this.

If you *really* have to write this information down, you've got a few
options to increase the security of the data:

1) Encrypt the file using something like gpg (giving you one password
you'll have to commit to memory) which would make accessing the
contents much harder (but not impossible as a copy will exist in
memory or temporary storage when it's opened and for a time afterwards).

2) Don't write down the passwords, just write down hints which will
remind you (but nobody else) of them. For example, if your password
was 'lamppost', you might write 'shiny' which would jog your memory
but not give enough info for someone to work out the password. 'Tall
nightlight', however, would be a bad prompt :-). You could also add
random numbers to your bank details, and increment each number by a
given amount.

3) If using 2), but not 1), consider using paper and hiding it
somewhere. That way someone would need physical access to your house
to look at it.

Personally, I just take the time to commit all of my passwords, bank
details, etc. to memory.

> Lucy

Regards,

Paul